IRON MAN E-Zine: Issue #621:
Fire Up Your 4 Fat-Burning Pathways: Get Your Six-Pack Back
TRY THIS AT YOUR NEXT WORKOUT
Fire Up Your 4 Fat-Burning Pathways: Get Your Six-Pack Back
Q: I loosened my diet, and now I'm about 15 pounds away from seeing my abs. I want my six-pack back because right now I'm ashamed to be seen without a shirt (luckily it's winter, lol). I'm going to start with the 4-days-per-week Ultimate Fat-to-Muscle Workout. Is that a good one for my goal of the fastest fat loss possible? I miss my abs, so I need to see them very soon. Girls like abs, right?
A: That's an excellent program because it combines heavy pyramids--adding weight to lower your reps over three sets--with X-centric and higher-rep sets. You get size increases in both the myofibrils, the force-generating strands in muscle fibers, and the sarcoplasm, the energy fluid in the fibers. Plus you burn fat along 4 distinct pathways, as you'll see…
You're obviously interested in maximizing fat loss as you add muscle, so you need to train both "sides" of the fibers--and you want to increase anabolic hormones, such as testosterone and growth hormone. Both of those have massive implications when it comes to muscle building and fat burning.
Midrange: Bench presses or incline presses, 3 x 9, 7, 5; 1 x 7NA
Stretch: Flat-bench flyes or incline flyes, 1 x 7-9; 1 x 7NA
Contracted: Cable crossovers, 2 x 15-20
NA is a negative-accentuated, or X-centric, set, which is one-second positives and six-second negatives on every rep. Seven NA reps will give you around 50 seconds of tension time. That's ideal for hypertrophy, especially in the sarcoplasm (energy fluid). The slow lowering, or eccentric, will create trauma in the myofibrils, which will also spur some growth--plus, it will ignite fat burning after the workout. How?
When you create trauma in the myofibrils, it takes the body days to repair the microtears. During that repair process, your body is burning fat as your metabolism is stoked. It takes energy for the repair process to happen, so you're burning fat 24 hours a day as your body rebuilds. The heavy pyramids on the presses also create some myofibrillar trauma to add to your fat-burning firestorm.
Okay, so you're getting myofibrillar trauma for some long-term fat burning during repair. That's an exciting leanness trigger by itself. But there's more: The long NA-set tension time--around 40 seconds--ignites muscle burn. That burn is from lactic acid, which has been shown to create a growth hormone surge--and GH is both a muscle builder and a fat burner. (Are you starting to see how great NA, or X-centric, sets are for both building muscle and burning fat?)
Note that you will also get that GH-jacking muscle burn from the crossovers via higher reps, at the end of the chest workout (the 4X method would work nicely here too).
So with the Fat-to-Muscle routine, or something similar you can devise, you are attacking multiple muscle-building as well as fat-burning pathways…
1) Testosterone release. Training with a power pyramid on a big multi-joint exercise like bench presses will enhance testosterone release, which has been shown to be a powerful fat burner as well as muscle builder (testosterone is a proven fast belly-fat buster).
2) Fiber trauma. You get myofibrillar trauma from the pyramid on the big exercise and also from the X-centric (NA) set on that move; then you add to that trauma in those force-generating strands on the second set of the stretch-position exercise, flyes, with NA. All of that trauma will boost your metabolism and burn fat for days after the workout.
3) GH release. You get muscle burn on your NA sets as well as on the high reps on crossovers. That will trigger more growth hormone release. Remember, GH is a key to shedding loads of body fat fast.
4) Afterburn. After every workout, you do 15 minutes on the treadmill. Don't skip it--it won't take long. Because you have used all the sugar from your bloodstream during your weight workout, the short cardio session will tap into your fat stores faster to burn even more blubber after.
With those tactics and the right eating plan--you must stick to X-treme Lean nutrition principles--you'll soon have your six-pack back...
Till next time, train hard--and smart--for BIG results.
Note: The Ultimate Fat-to-Muscle Workout e-book is now only $19.99, and our fat-burning nutrition guide with diets and training, X-treme Lean, is also only $9.99 (less than 10 bucks). Get them separately or in combination with X-traordinary Abs and save money at the X-Shop.
--Steve Holman and Jonathan Lawson
LIMITED-TIME $19.99 BEST-SELLERS: We're offering each of these at their lowest price ever to get you big and ripped by spring. Click on the title you're interested in for more info...
1) The 4X Mass Workout--fast, simplified supersaturation training for X-treme size
2) The X-traordinary X-Rep Workout--the latest update to our original X e-book
3) The X-centric Mass Workout--the negative-accentuated training manual
4) The Ultimate Fat-to-Muscle Workout--total body transformation training
5) X-traordinary Muscle-Building Workouts--10 complete mass programs
6) X-traordinary Arms--includes the 3D HIT workout system with big-arms routines
7) 3D Muscle Building--the original Positions-of-Flexion mass-training manual
8) X-treme LeanFat-Burning and Nutrition Guide (with training too)
12) Eric Broser's FD/FS Mass-Shock Workout
Latest release: The 4X Mass WorkoutFast Simplified Supersaturation Training for X-treme Muscle Size. It’s how many pro bodybuilders get big AND ripped as fast as possible for contests and photo shoots. You can use it for a blast of new mass in only a few weeks--and the workouts are quick. Guaranteed or your money back. Limited-time discount offer HERE.
X-SHOP: Find our original X-Rep e-book, as well as X Updates and Positions-of-Flexion mass-training guides...
X-WORKOUTS: Find specialized e-workout programs, including Power-Density, 10x10 and Eric Broser’s Power/Rep Range/Shock....
NEW: The X-traordinary SIZE SURGE Workout, Jonathan Lawson’s legendary two-phase mass program that packed 20 pounds of muscle on his frame in only 10 weeks. See all the changes he made to the original workouts, transcribed from his training journal. In printable templates so you can duplicate his incredible gains. You also get his eat-to-grow diet and streamlined no-frills supplement schedule, anabolic acceleration methods and loads of tips and tricks. Plus, an interview with a top-level bodybuilder who trains Size Surge style for incredible growth.
Newbies: If you’re a beginning bodybuilder, coming back from a layoff or a trainer who trains beginners, our new e-book, Quick-Start Muscle-Building Guide, is for you.
To follow the ITRC training program in “Train, Eat, Grow,” get a copy of the latest issue of IRON MAN.
This Special Report was submitted by Jonathan Lawson and Steve Holman.
The IRON MAN Training & Research Team
The ITRC Training Newsletter is not intended as training advice for everyone. You must consult your physician before beginning any diet or training program. You may forward this email to as many friends as you want, but do not photocopy or reprint this report in any format without the written permission of the copyright holder.
Help us build the IRON MAN Research Team Tell a friend! If you know someone who would benefit from Supplement Updates, Diet Tips and Freebies, forward them this e-zine or tell them to visit us at
http://www.ironmanmagazine.com and click on FREE Training Newsletter.
*We DO NOT sell any subscriber e-mail addresses.
All Content (c) Copyright 2011 IRON MAN Magazine
All Rights Reserved