IRON MAN E-Zine: Issue #484:
Bigger Muscles Now: 4X FirePower for Immediate Mass
TRY THIS AT YOUR NEXT WORKOUT
Bigger Muscles Now: 4X FirePower for Immediate Mass
Q: I read about your 4X mass-building method in a previous e-zine. I find it hard to believe that I can make mass gains doing only one exercise per bodypart for four quick sets with only the last set to failure. Will that really work?
A: You misunderstood the concept–we should’ve been more clear. Unless you’re a beginner, you should do more than one exercise in 4X style per bodypart. We mistakenly assumed that readers know we use Positions-of-Flexion mass training, which works a muscle in its midrange, stretch and contracted positions. That usually requires THREE exercises per bodypart…
In The 4X Mass Workout e-book the more advanced programs use POF with the 4X method on all exercises–usually 3 for each muscle. It’s full-range mass building for every bodypart that takes only about 15 minutes.
Now, there is a program that does have only ONE key exercise per bodypart–but that’s for BEGINNERS. In fact, the 4X method is excellent for starting out because you don’t have to change weight and there is no figuring out warmup poundages–you use the same weight all the way through four sets on one exercise per muscle.
Remember, for 4X you pick a weight you can get 15 reps with, but you only do 10. Rest 30 seconds, then do 10 more and so on until you complete four sets of 10 reps–although set four should have you fail before your 10th rep. The last set is the all-out money set. (We have more tips on getting the most mass from 4X training coming up.)
Speaking of beginners, we have a progression for them that we outline in the 4X e-book. We suggest they start out with 3×10, moving to the more intense 4×10 after a few weeks. It’s great for men or women just starting out…
For intermediate and advanced trainees, we provide 4 other programs in The 4X Mass Workout e-book using two, three or more exercises for each muscle. Those include The Big, Basic 4X Mass Workout; The POF 4X Mass Workout; The Direct/Indirect 4X Mass Workout; and the Home-Gym 4X Mass Workout.
While we’re on the subject, here are a few tips to get the most out of each 4X sequence:
1) Pick a weight that would allow you to barely crank out 15 reps, but only do 10; rest 30 seconds, then do 10 more and so on until you complete 4 sets with 30 seconds of rest between each set (or rest only as long as it takes your partner to do his or her set).
2) The first set or two will feel light, but don’t do fast reps and throw the weight. Stay in control with a one-second-up/three-seconds-down cadence. As explained in the 4X e-book, even the first light set will fatigue a number of growth fibers completely, so you don’t want to reduce that key size-building effect with momentum.
3) The last set should be to all-out failure. If you get 10 reps, continue with as many more reps as possible. OR you can stop at 10, rest 30 seconds and do a fifth set to failure.
4) When you reach failure on your last set, you can continue with X-Rep partials at the semi-stretch position. That provides a whole new mass-building dimension to 4X. We recommend adding the X-Rep intensity uptick after a few weeks of 4X training to positive failure only. The addition of X Reps will give you a new jolt of muscle mass once you’ve adapted to standard 4X training. [For more on X Reps, see The X-traordinary X-Rep Workout e-book.]
5) If you’re able to get 10 reps on your fourth set, add weight to your 4X-sequence poundage at your next workout. In other words, start with a slightly higher poundage and use that new weight throughout the 4X sequence.
If you use it correctly and progressively, 4X training will trigger some unreal mass gaining in record time! Prepare to feel and look pumped all day long!
Till next time, train hard–and smart–for BIG results.
—Steve Holman and Jonathan Lawson
You can subscribe to this e-zine free at http:www.X-Rep.com.
Latest release: The 4X Mass Workout—Fast Simplified Supersaturation Training for X-treme Muscle Size. It’s how many pro bodybuilders get big AND ripped as fast as possible for contests and photo shoots. You can use it for a blast of new mass in only a few weeks–and the workouts are quick. Guaranteed or your money back. Limited-time discount offer HERE.
X-SHOP: Find our original X-Rep e-book, as well as X Updates and Positions-of-Flexion mass-training guides…
X-WORKOUTS: Find specialized e-workout programs, including Power-Density, 10×10 and Eric Broser’s Power/Rep Range/Shock….
NEW: The X-traordinary SIZE SURGE Workout, Jonathan Lawson’s legendary two-phase mass program that packed 20 pounds of muscle on his frame in only 10 weeks. See all the changes he made to the original workouts, transcribed from his training journal. In printable templates so you can duplicate his incredible gains. You also get his eat-to-grow diet and streamlined no-frills supplement schedule, anabolic acceleration methods and loads of tips and tricks. Plus, an interview with a top-level bodybuilder who trains Size Surge style for incredible growth.
Newbies: If you’re a beginning bodybuilder, coming back from a layoff or a trainer who trains beginners, our new e-book, Quick-Start Muscle-Building Guide, is for you.
To follow the ITRC training program in “Train, Eat, Grow,” get a copy of the latest issue of IRON MAN.
This Special Report was submitted by Jonathan Lawson and Steve Holman.
The IRON MAN Training & Research Team
The ITRC Training Newsletter is not intended as training advice for everyone. You must consult your physician before beginning any diet or training program. You may forward this email to as many friends as you want, but do not photocopy or reprint this report in any format without the written permission of the copyright holder.
Help us build the IRON MAN Research Team — Tell a friend! If you know someone who would benefit from Supplement Updates, Diet Tips and Freebies, forward them this e-zine or tell them to visit us at
http://www.ironmanmagazine.com and click on FREE Training Newsletter.
*We DO NOT sell any subscriber e-mail addresses.
*If someone has signed you up for this free newsletter without your permission, or you have changed your mind and don’t want to receive it after all, you can click on the link at the bottom of this e-mail to unsubscribe.
Visit the Home Gym Warehouse online store for the latest books, videos and equipment specials at
All Content (c) Copyright 2010 IRON MAN Magazine
All Rights Reserved
You must be logged in to post a comment Login