IRON MAN E-Zine: Issue #635:
4 Big Steps to Ultimate-Mass Success
TRY THIS AT YOUR NEXT WORKOUT
4 Big Steps to Ultimate-Mass Success
Q: I’m a hardgainer, but with your Basic 4X Mass Workout I’ve already added four pounds of muscle mass in a month. I didn’t gain that much all of last year. First up, thank you. Second, do you think it’s time for me to move to the next level, the Positions-of-Flexion version in the 4X e-book?
A: It’s only been a month, and you seem to be growing like gangbusters, especially for a hardgainer, so why change now? Keep using that program until you stall and/or stop looking forward to your workouts. Either of those are signs of staleness–not necessarily overtraining (more on OT in a moment).
Eventually, you should go to some type of a full-range POF program, even if it’s only for four to six weeks (all of our e-books contain POF workouts). Why? Because multi-angular training is one of the big keys to getting bigger. Here are our 4 keys or steps to major mass success…
1) Multi-angular training (POF). Hitting a muscle from multiple angles can stress the fibers differently and can even bring in different fibers for fuller muscle development—for example, leg extensions appear to activate a few different fibers than squats, and even stress some of the quad muscles more directly, such as the rectus femoris, a central-thigh muscle. And stretch-position moves, like sissy squats for quads, flyes for chest, stiff-legged deadlifts for hams, overhead extensions for triceps, etc. can bring in DORMANT fibers via an emergency response–stretch against resistance is a like a shocking wake-up call for more fiber activation…
As we often mention, an animal study produced a 300 percent muscle-mass increase after EXCLUSIVE stretch-overload workouts for one month–no other stimulus was employed other than progressive-stretch work against resistance (that’s like stretch-position exercises in POF).
2) Dual-component work (myofibrils and sarcoplasm). In a nutshell, the force-generating strands in a muscle fiber are the myofibrils, which respond to heavy weights and lower reps; the sarcoplasm is the "energy" fluid that expands in response to longer tension times (40+ seconds) and/or short rests between sets. You get stimulation of both with the 4X mass method; however, with standard training you can get more sarcoplasmic stimulation via higher reps on continuous-tension moves, like leg extensions, machine flyes, etc. (these are contracted-position exercises in POF).
3) Recovery. Muscle recovery can occur more quickly with the 4X method due to moderate weights and less joint stress–the stress hormone cortisol is LESS likely to surge, so you can get better gains. However, there is still cumulative stress from many workouts over time. That’s why we often recommend phase training, no matter what program you’re on. That’s training hard for four to six weeks, and then you use a low-intensity back-off week to regroup and supercompensate (like going to 3X with your 4X weights). Jonathan used four-week phases very successfully during the Size Surge experiment when he gained 20 pounds of muscle in only 10 weeks (his before and afters are at www.SizeSurgeWorkout.com).
4) Nutrition. The basics are six meals a day, around 30 grams of protein per meal–more postworkout–low-glycemic carbs at most meals, high-glycemic carbs postworkout, with total carbs per day around 250 grams for most bodybuilders, depending on bodyweight and fat-loss goals.
After all that, did we answer your question? Hmm, well, the answer is to give the 4X POF program a try once you stop progressing on your current workout. When that happens, take a low-intensity week (3X), then make a change for bigger, better gains.
Till next time, train hard–and smart–for BIG results.
Note: The 3D Muscle Building e-book is the Positions-of-Flexion mass-building manual, and it’s now only $19.99. You can also get the 4X Mass Workout for only $19.99–more e-books at special prices at www.X-Workouts.com.
–Steve Holman and Jonathan Lawson
LIMITED-TIME $19.99 BEST-SELLERS: We’re offering each of these at their lowest price ever to get you big and ripped by spring. Click on the title you’re interested in for more info…
1) The 4X Mass Workout–fast, simplified supersaturation training for X-treme size
2) The X-traordinary X-Rep Workout–the latest update to our original X e-book
3) The X-centric Mass Workout–the negative-accentuated training manual
4) The Ultimate Fat-to-Muscle Workout–total body transformation training
5) X-traordinary Muscle-Building Workouts–10 complete mass programs
6) X-traordinary Arms–includes the 3D HIT workout system with big-arms routines
7) 3D Muscle Building–the original Positions-of-Flexion mass-training manual
8) X-treme LeanFat-Burning and Nutrition Guide (with training too)
12) Eric Broser’s FD/FS Mass-Shock Workout
Latest release: The 4X Mass WorkoutFast Simplified Supersaturation Training for X-treme Muscle Size. It’s how many pro bodybuilders get big AND ripped as fast as possible for contests and photo shoots. You can use it for a blast of new mass in only a few weeks–and the workouts are quick. Guaranteed or your money back. Limited-time discount offer HERE.
X-SHOP: Find our original X-Rep e-book, as well as X Updates and Positions-of-Flexion mass-training guides…
X-WORKOUTS: Find specialized e-workout programs, including Power-Density, 10×10 and Eric Broser’s Power/Rep Range/Shock….
NEW: The X-traordinary SIZE SURGE Workout, Jonathan Lawson’s legendary two-phase mass program that packed 20 pounds of muscle on his frame in only 10 weeks. See all the changes he made to the original workouts, transcribed from his training journal. In printable templates so you can duplicate his incredible gains. You also get his eat-to-grow diet and streamlined no-frills supplement schedule, anabolic acceleration methods and loads of tips and tricks. Plus, an interview with a top-level bodybuilder who trains Size Surge style for incredible growth.
Newbies: If you’re a beginning bodybuilder, coming back from a layoff or a trainer who trains beginners, our new e-book, Quick-Start Muscle-Building Guide, is for you.
This Special Report was submitted by Jonathan Lawson and Steve Holman.
The IRON MAN Training & Research Team
The ITRC Training Newsletter is not intended as training advice for everyone. You must consult your physician before beginning any diet or training program. You may forward this email to as many friends as you want, but do not photocopy or reprint this report in any format without the written permission of the copyright holder.
Help us build the IRON MAN Research Team Tell a friend! If you know someone who would benefit from Supplement Updates, Diet Tips and Freebies, forward them this e-zine or tell them to visit us at
http://www.ironmanmagazine.com and click on FREE Training Newsletter.
*We DO NOT sell any subscriber e-mail addresses.
All Content (c) Copyright 2012 IRON MAN Magazine
All Rights Reserved